Seven Grain Bread - For Bread Machines or By Hand

I wanted to try another whole grain bread recipe.  I think I found the winner for making Thanksgiving day buns!  This recipe was hardy, yet light.  The directions were for a bread machine, but since I do not have one, I made a few changes in the prep to allow me to make this by hand.  The end result was delicious!

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3 tablespoons dry milk powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 all purpose or bread flour
3/4 cup 7 grain cereal  - I used Bob's Red Mill - found in the health food section of the grocery store

If you are using a bread machine, put the ingredients in the bread machine as listed in the recipe.  Select whole wheat bread cycle and press start.

If you are making this recipe by hand.  Mix the warm water with 1 tablespoon of honey and yeast and allow to set for 5 minutes.  Next add the 7 grain cereal.   Mix and allow to set for 10 minutes to soften the cereal.

While this is softening, mix the milk powder, olive oil, the other tablespoon of honey, salt, egg, and whole wheat flour.  Mix well.  Next stir in the yeast/cereal mixture.  Finally add enough whole wheat flour to make a dough that forms a soft dough.  Put on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.

Place dough in an oiled bowl and allow to rise for 1 hour.  After an hour, punch the dough down.  I wanted to make buns so I divided the dough into 12 equal parts and placed them on  a backing sheet.  Let rise for a second hour...the additional time adds to the lightness of the finished buns.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes.  Enjoy!







Comments

Popular Posts