It's getting to be that time of the year when crock pot recipes come in handy and make the house smell great when you get home from work. This recipe is one I catered to our family's likes after reviewing a half a dozen on line. Many beef and broccoli recipes call for sesame oil. It's bit strong for our family, but I added a little Worcestershire sauce which I thought enhanced the recipe.
1 ½ lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
1 15 ounce can beef broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons sauce from the crock pot after being cooked
16 oz.Broccoli florets
Put the beef in the crock pot. Mix the beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil and garlic together, then pour over the beef.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
After that time, take 1/2 of sauce from the crock pot, mix with cornstarch and pour back in the crock pot. Add broccoli florets as well, stir and cook an additional 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Serve over rice.
Saturday, September 27, 2014
Thursday, September 4, 2014
We were looking for a healthier version of the traditional chicken nuggets and found this recipe for seasoned baked nuggets on pbs.org. Like usual, we made some minor modifications and it was DELICIOUS!
We made a big batch so that we could have them for lunches that week. These would be awesome to make for kids too. They really do taste like breaded chicken nuggets.
When we made them, we tripled the recipe but the ingredients listed below would make one batch.
Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (approximately 1 lb. combined)
- 3 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp wheat bread crumbs (or you can use panko bread crumbs)
- Cooking spray (using olive oil in a Misto works great)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut chicken into bite-size cubes.
- Combine the chicken with the olive oil and all of the seasonings (from salt through black pepper) in a bowl, massaging the seasonings into the chicken.
- Next add the bread crumbs to the bowl and mix so that all pieces of chicken are coated in breadcrumbs. (You can also choose to do this step in a Ziploc bag if you wish but the bowl worked fine for me.)
- Spray the baking sheet with olive oil in a Misto (or cooking spray)
- Lay the pieces of chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, flip the chicken nuggets over, and bake for 8 more minutes (16 minutes total).