Shrimp and Clam Chowder

I found an interesting recipe in the February 2015 edition of Better Homes and Gardens.  I took the basic recipe and added a couple of my own twists - I like a little more heat so I added a jalapeno, and I also enjoy lots of seafood, so I added a can of clams in edition to the shrimp.  In the recipe below, I reduced the water by 1/2 cup because I found it was a little runnier than I'd like for chowder.  The recipe cooked quickly and I enjoyed the taste.



Ingredients

2 Tablespoons butter
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
1 jalapeno pepper chopper
2 tablespoons flour
16 ounces of clam juice
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 can of clams - liquid drained
2 ~ 12 ounce bags of shrimp, tails removed
1 15 ounce can of corn
1 3.5 ounce jar of capers
8 ounces of mascarpone or cream cheese
Fresh basil leaves, optional

Heat butter in a large sauce pan.  Add celery, onion, and peppers; stir for 5 minutes over medium heat.  Stir in flour to coat.  Add clam juice, water, Old Bay seasoning, and dried basil, bring to boiling, then reduce heat.

Add shrimp, clams, corn and capers.  Cook 2-5 minutes until shrimp turn pink.  Remove from heat.  Stir in mascarpone.  Serve with fresh basil leaves, if desired


Ingredients



Cooking the celery, peppers, and onions in butter

Adding the liquid

Adding the mascarpone cheese and fresh basil

Soups On!




Comments

Popular Posts