Cheesy Broccoli and Bacon Pasta Bake
- 1 box of whole wheat penne pasta
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 small onion (chopped or minced)
- 2 tbsp of minced parsley
- 1 tbsp of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of skim milk
- 2 cups of broccoli (2 big heads of fresh broccoli)
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Wash and chop broccoli (if fresh) and chop/mince the onion.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta once it's boiling and cook just shy of al dente (with the penne I used, this meant about 6-7 minutes). Once it is done cooking, drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Once bacon is done cooking, remove from skillet and set on paper plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. Drain most of the bacon grease from the skillet.
- Cook onions with parsley in the skillet until the onions are translucent. Stirring as needed.
- After the onions are cooked, add flour and stir until the mixture is coated. Gradually add the milk and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Add the broccoli to the skillet and cook approximately 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Crumb the bacon into smaller pieces.
- Add the cheese, cooked pasta, and bacon to the skillet. Combine until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into a baking dish. Bake 10-15 minutes until mixture is bubbly.