Turkey Burgers with Cranberry-Apple Relish
Ingredients for Cranberry-Apple Relish:
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 apple (chopped)
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
Ingredients for Turkey Burgers:
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or Panko
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1 tbsp sage (chopped if fresh)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Cooking spray
- Blue cheese (or your choice of cheese)
- Tomato (Sliced)
- Onion (Sliced and carmelized if desired)
- Barbeque sauce or ketchup
- Place all cranberry-apple relish ingredients in a small food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped and set aside until serving.
- Heat a small skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Chop onion.
- Add chopped onion to skillet. Saute for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parsley, sage, pepper, salt, and ground turkey. Add onions last (so that they have time to cool) and combine them in to the turkey mix.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each into a patty that is approximately 4 inches in diameter.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Coat the skillet or grill pan with cooking oil and add the patties.
- Grill for about 5 minutes on the first side, then flip and grill for 3 more minutes. Add the cheese to the top and cook for 2 more minutes until cheese is melted and turkey burger is cooked through.
- Place burger on top of buns, top with cranberry-apple relish and any other desired toppings (spinach, tomatoes, onions, barbeque sauce).
|The cranberry-apple relish|
|The turkey burgers|
|The full meal... turkey burger topped with cranberry-apple relish, sweet potato wedges, and steamed brussel sprouts|