Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash and Quinoa
- 1 large butternut squash (cubed)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 4 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1 can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted and quartered)
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- Cube the butternut squash; if you've never done this before (like I hadn't), follow this handy guide.
- Steam the butternut squash for 10 minutes; after 10 minutes, remove half of the butternut squash (set aside in a bowl).
- Steam the remaining half for another 4-6 minutes. Once this half is done steaming, mash it with a fork and set aside in a bowl.
- While the butternut squash is steaming, bring a pot of chicken broth to a boil. Once boiling, add the chicken breasts and cook on medium-high heat covered for about 15 minutes (until thoroughly cooked).
- While chicken is cooking, chop the onion.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove the chicken and set aside on a plate. Also put the chicken broth in a large measuring cup or bowl and set aside.
- In the large pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and cook until onions are soft and slightly brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the salt, minced garlic, and oregano and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next stir in diced tomatoes (with sauce in can), cubed butternut squash, and mashed butternut squash. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth that you had set aside and the quinoa. Bring the pot to a simmer, then cover and cook for 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked.
- While quinoa is cooking, shred the chicken with a fork and quarter the kalamata olives.
- Once quinoa is cooked, add in the shredded chicken, kalamata olives, and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on medium.
- Stir in parsley last and serve in bowls.
|Steaming the butternut squash|
|Both of the steamed squashes: the cubed bowl on the left and the mashed bowl on the right|
|The cooking in progress|
|The final product!|
|Our delicious dinner... Stew, salad, and fresh bread|