Blackened Chicken, Mango, and Avocado Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- 4 green onions
- 2 tbsp of cilantro
- 2 tbsp of mint
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp of all-spice
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 5 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 mango (chopped)
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 avocado (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Combine the quinoa in the chicken or vegetable broth in a pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- While quinoa is cooking, combine the jalapeno (de-seeded and sliced into strips), spinach, green onions, cilantro, and mint in a food processor until it is thoroughly minced.
- Season the chicken with the all-spice and paprika. Beat the chicken so that it is thinner.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the chicken and peppers (chopped), cook for 3-6 minutes on each side until the chicken is blackened and thoroughly cooked and the peppers are tender.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a large bowl and combine with the minced spinach mix.
- Squeeze the fresh lime juice and drizzle the remaining olive oil over the mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Chop the mango and avocado then add to the quinoa mixture.
- When chicken is cooked, slice the chicken. Top the quinoa mixture with the chicken, pepper, and any remaining juices from the skillet.
- Add feta to the top.
- Serve with Greek yogurt... it can be eaten on the side or mixed in with the salad.
|All the ingredients|
|Step 2: Mincing the spinach mixture in the food processor.|
|Step 3: Seasoning and flattening the chicken|
|Step 5: Quinoa all cooked and ready to be transferred to the bowl.|
|Step 5: Quinoa and spinach mixture combined.|
|Final product with feta on top and Greek yogurt on the side.|