I will admit that this time around I added too much sauce and cheese (didn't use measuring cups) so, forgive the pictures, these ones are a little sloppy but the recipe measurements should prevent that for you! :-)
This recipe comes from a blog called Dashing Dish. She provides the nutrition facts. My recipe is a little bit less healthy because I add a little bit more sauce and cheese but still pretty close to hers so the nutrition facts should be just slightly more for this recipe (her estimate was 120 calories per pinwheel with 6 grams of fat).
Skinny Pizza Pinwheels
- 1 package of reduced fat crescent roll dough (if you can find the seamless stuff, it works really well but if you can't use the regular stuff and a rolling pin to roll the seams together)
- 3/4 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
- 1 tsp of Italian seasoning (or a mix of basil and oregano)
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of Canadian bacon, turkey pepperoni, OR turkey sausage (they all work really well)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop up the meat (Canadian bacon, turkey pepperoni, or turkey sausage) into small pieces.
- Mix the pizza/spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chopped meat, and cheeses (parmesan and mozzarella) together in a small bowl.
- Line the baking sheet with tin foil or spray with cooking spray.
- Spread the dough across either a big cutting board or the baking sheet (I prefer a cutting board but if you don't want to dirty more dishes, you can use the baking sheet). If the dough is not seamless, use a rolling pin and/or your fingers to push the seams together so that it is one big rectangle of dough. Carefully pull at the corners and edges to get the dough as stretched out as possible.
- Spread the sauce mixture over the dough using a spatula.
- Starting at the long end of the dough, carefully roll the dough into a long skinny log.
- Cut into approximately eight rolls.
- Place the rolls on their side (so that they look like a cinnamon roll - you can see the swirl) on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (until they look golden brown in color).
- You can serve with pizza/spaghetti sauce for dipping if desired.
|Step 6 - Sauce spread across the dough|
|Step 7 - Rolling the dough into a log|