This recipe was adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes. I did not do my own calorie count and I made some of my own modifications to the recipe but I would assume that it would come in close to her calculations, which for a serving size of 1/6 of the dish, there were 318 calories.
The taste was great; I overcooked the noodles a little, which I adjusted the recipe below to help you avoid overcooking the noodles, but it was still delicious and provided me with lunches for the rest of the week (about 6 servings). This dish did require being a good multi-tasker (multiple things cooking at once) but it wasn't too complicated.
Skinny Tuna Noodle Hot Dish
- 1 bag of extra-wide egg noodles (8-10 ounces depending on how noodle-y you want the dish to be)
- 1 tbsp of butter (I used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray for this)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion (chopped or minced)
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 1 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk (I used skim)
- 1 bag of mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, beans -- you could also get a mix with broccoli)
- 10 oz of mushrooms (optional - I didn't make mine with these because I'm not a mushroom-fan)
- 2 cans of tuna
- 1 cup of reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Butter spray (I used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray actually)
- 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop or mince the onion.
- Start microwaving your frozen mixed vegetables (if you got fresh ones instead, wash and chop them).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the noodles according to the directions but make sure to undercook them by 1-2 minutes from whatever the package says.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt the 1 tbsp of butter in a large deep skillet.
- After the butter is melted, add the onions to the skillet; cooking on medium until they are soft (about 5 minutes).
- After the onions are soft, add in the flour and stir well with the skillet on medium-low heat.
- Next, add the chicken broth to the skillet, whisking it in and slowly turning up the heat to medium.
- Then add milk and bring to a boil.
- When noodles finish cooking (probably around this time), drain them, rinse them with cold water, and set them aside for now.
- After the skillet mixtures is boiling, add the mixed vegetables (and mushrooms if you chose to include them) to the mixture and simmer on medium for about 6-7 minutes. Feel free to add salt and pepper to taste. The sauce should start to thicken a little.
- Next, add the tuna to the mixture and cook for about another minute.
- Remove from heat and add in the sharp cheddar cheese. Mix it well until the cheese has melted.
- Now add the noodles to the mixture and mix until the noodles are evenly coated.
- Lightly spray a 9x12 casserole dish with the butter spray.
- Pour the noodle mixture from the skillet into the casserole dish.
- Spray the top with a little more butter spray.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
|The skillet mixture after Step 11.|
|The skillet after Step 14 - the noodles have been added.|
|The Hot Dish before cooking|
|The Hot Dish after cooking|