Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 bacon slices (cooked and crumbled)
- Sun-dried tomatoes for serving
- Parmesan cheese (grated) for serving
- Parsley for serving
- Croutons for serving
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and place cut-side down in a microwave-safe baking dish. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; swirl the oil to coat the pan.
- Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes until onion has softened.
- While onion is cooking, in a skillet or in the microwave, cook the bacon until it is crispy and can be easily crumbled (5-10 minutes).
- To the saucepan with the onion, add the cumin and red pepper and cook for a couple more minutes. Then, add the broth to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked, cool slightly and separate from potato skin.
- Place half of the sweet potato and half of the broth/onion mixture in a blender. Remove the center piece of the blender lid (to allow heat to escape) but place a towel over the opening in the lid to avoid a mess. Puree in blender until smooth. Pour pureed mix into a large bowl.
- Repeat Step 7 to puree the other half of the sweet potato and broth/onion mixture. When finished, add the remaining pureed mixture to the large bowl.
- For serving, top each bowl with crumbled bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and croutons in the desired amount.