The recipe came from the blog Lil' Luna. It's a pretty easy recipe but does take about 45 minutes to cook so make sure to plan enough time.
Tortellini Sausage Soup
- 4 links of sausage (chopped) (I used all-natural chicken sausage with apple in it and it was awesome!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp of minced garlic
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of apple cider (apple juice works if you can't find cider)
- 15 oz of tomato sauce
- 15 oz of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of carrots (chopped) or whole baby carrots (depending on your preference)
- 3 tbsp of Italian seasoning (or 2 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, and 2 tbsp of parsley)
- 2 medium zucchini (chopped)
- 16 oz of tortellini (I used spinach and ricotta tortellini)
- Parmesan cheese - optional (for serving)
- Chop sausage into bite size pieces and cook with olive oil in a skillet until browned.
- Add garlic to cooked sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Move the sausage and garlic to a large pot.
- Stir in chicken broth, apple cider, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, carrots, and Italian seasoning. Cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir in the zucchini and cook for anther 10-12 minutes.
- After 10-12 minutes, stir in the tortellini and cook for 7-10 more minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
|Almost all the ingredients (I didn't include the apple juice or Italian Seasoning in the picture)|
|Steps 3 and 4 - combining the cooked sausage/garlic with the broth mixture in a large pot|
|Soup is all ready!|
|I recommend enjoying with wine. :)|