This next recipe I made for a nice anniversary/engagement celebration dinner with my new fiancé.
I made Greek Chicken Pitas with a quinoa salad (which will be my next post) and cooked pea pods.
I found the recipe on Key Ingredient and modified it only slightly.
We both absolutely loved these Greek Chicken Pitas and I will definitely be making them again!
Greek Chicken Pitas
- 1 medium-size yellow onion (chopped or sliced)
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic (or you can use 1 clove of garlic)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tsp of lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of all spice (I used Season-All salt)
- 6 oz of plain Greek yogurt (I used a small Yoplait container)
- 4-6 pita pockets
- 1-2 medium-size tomatoes (chopped or sliced)
- 1 cucumber (chopped)
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper (chopped or sliced) (Optional - I did not include this)
- Chop/slice the onion
- Stir together the onion, garlic, lemon pepper, oregano, and all spice in the crockpot.
- After stirring, add the chicken (I added mine frozen and it turned out fine). Cover the chicken with the mixture in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Shortly before serving, remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred or chop it so that it is in small pieces.
- After shredding the chicken, return it to the mixture and add the yogurt. Stir together.
- Chop the tomatoes, cucumbers, and pepper (if used) for serving.
- Heat the pita bread.
- To eat, put the chicken/onion/yogurt mixture into the pita bread, add tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers as desired. Enjoy!
|The crockpot after step #3 - before cooking.|
|Ready to eat!|
It makes about 4-6 pitas depending on how full you fill them.