Crockpot Recipe - Greek Chicken Pitas

I've had a little bit of a delay in posting recipes recently - as my mom mentioned, I recently got engaged and made a cross-country move to go back for my last semester of grad school but I am finally catching up on posting a few recipes that I made before I left.

This next recipe I made for a nice anniversary/engagement celebration dinner with my new fiancé.

I made Greek Chicken Pitas with a quinoa salad (which will be my next post) and cooked pea pods.

I found the recipe on Key Ingredient and modified it only slightly.

We both absolutely loved these Greek Chicken Pitas and I will definitely be making them again!

Greek Chicken Pitas















Ingredients:
  • 1 medium-size yellow onion (chopped or sliced)
  • 1 tbsp of minced garlic (or you can use 1 clove of garlic) 
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 tsp of lemon pepper
  • 1/2 tsp of dried oregano 
  • 1/2 tsp of all spice (I used Season-All salt)
  • 6 oz of plain Greek yogurt (I used a small Yoplait container) 
Serve with: 
  • 4-6 pita pockets
  • 1-2 medium-size tomatoes (chopped or sliced)
  • 1 cucumber (chopped)
  • 1 medium-size red bell pepper (chopped or sliced) (Optional - I did not include this)
Directions:
  1. Chop/slice the onion
  2. Stir together the onion, garlic, lemon pepper, oregano, and all spice in the crockpot.
  3. After stirring, add the chicken (I added mine frozen and it turned out fine). Cover the chicken with the mixture in the crockpot. 
  4. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. 
  5. Shortly before serving, remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred or chop it so that it is in small pieces. 
  6. After shredding the chicken, return it to the mixture and add the yogurt. Stir together. 
  7. Chop the tomatoes, cucumbers, and pepper (if used) for serving.
  8. Heat the pita bread.
  9. To eat, put the chicken/onion/yogurt mixture into the pita bread, add tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers as desired. Enjoy!

The crockpot after step #3 - before cooking.



Ready to eat!

It makes about 4-6 pitas depending on how full you fill them.

Comments

Popular Posts