Kitchen Sink Crock Pot Roast and Carrots

Each time I make a roast, it's slightly different.  I've tried lots of recipes, so I suit the recipe of the day to what I have at home at the time.  My mom recently gave me some Penzey's spices - one is call Forward!  I like salt free seasoning options, so I tried using this today.  I also had a spare cup of cabernet in a bottle and believe alcohol tenderizes the roast, so I used that as well.  I needed enough liquid to cover the roast, so I also needed to use one can of beer.    At lunch, I used up the last of the dill pickles and remembered that one of my roast recipes called for dill pickle juice, so thus that went in todays meal as well...like I said Kitchen Sink Roast.

Ingredients

2 pounds of boneless beef chuck roast
1 teaspoon Penzey Forward! seasoning, divided
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 teaspoon Italian Herb Seasoning
1 package of dry onion soup mix
1/2 Cup Dill Pickle Juice
1 Cup Red Wine
1 12 ounce Can Beer
1 onion cut into wedges
2 Tablespoons Jalepeno Nacho Rings
1 1/2 Cups Baby Carrots

Season the Roast with Forward! seasoning.  Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium high heat and then sear both sides of the roast (approximate 4-5 minutes each side).

Add the red wine and beer to the crock pot.  Stir in all the seasonings Forward!, Garlic Salt, Italian Herb Seasoning, dry onion soup mix, and pickle juice until well mixed.

Add the seared roast to the crock pot.  The liquid should cover it, if not add a bit of water.  Put the onion, baby carrots and jalepeno slices on top.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve as a roast or shred and serve in sandwiches.


Seasoning the roast with Forward!


Searing the Roast in Olive Oil


Mixing all the seasonings in the red wine and beer


Cutting up the onion 


Adding the onion, carrots and jalepeno slices over the roast




Shredding the roast


Serving as a sandwich with the baby carrots and a fruit salad (recipe to come!)

Comments

Popular Posts